Erectile Dysfunction can sometimes be the first sign of underlying health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure or a cardiovascular disease. The most common precipitating factor for such a problem in younger men includes stress and anxiety and this can have an impact on their relationships.
Some men also suffer from pre- mature ejaculation – this means that they ejaculate the semen before they can penetrate or enter the vagina of their partner. This too can be very distressing. However this should not be confused with problems of erection. In both the conditions the man is not able to establish a relationship with their partner.
As a man gets older andropause (male menopause) slowly sets in and the men lose their potency. Hence erectile dysfunction is very common in older men.
Home Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
There are many natural remedies to erectile dysfunction. They should be tried for 3 months before seeking help of a doctor. These will not cause any harm to you. There are some long term and some short term recommendations to overcome the problem. There are other recommendations that can be practised regularly.
Long term Goals
If you are overweight or obese – you should lose weight. Check here if you are overweight
Exercise is a great way that helps with underlying problems of erectile dysfunction. Regular exercise will help you in a number of ways such as reducing stress, weight loss and increasing blood flow in the body. Thirty minutes of brisk walk is enough to keep your system functioning well.
Consume food that is rich in zinc such as turkey, chicken, prawns, peanuts, avocado, mushrooms, wholegrain products, yogurt, beef and lamb. It will help in boosting the production of testosterone and enhance sperm mobility too.
Vitamin E – promotes good blood flow and circulation within the body. It is strong anti-oxidants and removes the harmful free radicals. This can be had as a capsule or have vitamin E rich food – an antioxidant preventing oxidative damage of cells and provides nutrition for vital body functions.
For Immediate Beneficial Results
1. Regular intake of a glass of milk at night before going to bed is another healthy option.
In fact in India, many families traditionally give the bridegroom a glass of milk with crushed pepper and powdered almonds on the wedding night!
2. Chocolate has two chemicals – serotonin and phenyl ethylamine which act on the pleasure area of the brain to give a feeling happy and positive feeling
3. Dried fruits such as almonds, dates, raisins, pistachios, apricots and prunes are rich sources of potassium and sodium. Snacking of dried fruits at night proves to be equally energizing.
4. A mixture of powdered walnuts and honey are natural remedy that proves to be an effective decoction to tide over erectile problems. Take equal measure of powdered walnuts and honey and mix it well. Take a spoonful of this mixture thrice a day followed by a cup of milk.
Drumstick has certain aphrodisiac properties that are effective for treating problems like premature ejaculation, thin semen problem and other sexual problems. Heat a glass of milk with drumstick flower until it boils, cool down the mixture and drink this remedy for one or two months continuously for a better result. This can be had as a vegetable or used in a soup.
6. Watermelon is natural Viagra, it has citrulline content that helps to relax blood vessels and promote the flow of blood to the penis. Cut the outer skin of the watermelon in small pieces and run through a juicer and drink the juice, this is an effective way to fight erectile dysfunction.
Pomegranate has antioxidants, fibre, vitamins, potassium and niacin that are essential for a healthy sexual life. Drinking pomegranate juice proves to be effective against erectile dysfunction.
8. Garlic is rich in , which can improve blood flow to the sexual organs and help in enhancing erection. Consume two to three cloves of garlic before food or cut some garlic and sprinkle it on your favorite food.
Other foods that can also help erectile dysfunction includes pumpkins seeds, tomatoes, shellfish, spinach, banana, green tea, eggs, peanuts, salmon, coffee and pink grapefruit.
Common Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
There are several causes such as physical and mental problems that are linked with erectile dysfunction. There maybe one or more cause to the problem. Certain tablets or medication can also cause problems with erections. If you have started a new tablet and encountered such a problem – please consult your doctor immediately.
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Hormonal causes
- Heart disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Overweight and Obesity
- Arteriosclerosis (Clogged blood vessel)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Low testosterone
- Prostate cancer or its treatment
- Bowel cancer treatment
- Injuries to the pelvic area or spinal cord
- Kidney disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Peyronie’s disease (scar tissue inside the penis)
Mental Health (psychological) Causes:
- Relaxation difficulties